inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The View from Brooklyn


Having gone to school in the Bronx and worked in Manhattan over the summers and semesters during my time there, I would say I am pretty familiar with New York City. However, the exciting part about moving back to New York and moving/working in Brooklyn is that, even though it is NYC, it is a completely new world to me. The neighborhoods, bars, cafes, parks, events, and, in actuality--the entire borough--are uncharted territory for me to explore. That being said, I have been spending a lot of time walking around, stumbling into new spots, and investigating online, which has me eager with excitement over all that Brooklyn has to offer. 


One of the great things I recently found is Brooklyn Brainery, a collection of accessible & community-driven classes on everything you could imagine including gardening, poetry-writing, soda-making, and hair-cutting. It harnesses the idea that everyone in the community has the ability to teach something they love to others who are eager to learn (and that you don't have to have a PhD to teach or pay $50K to be educated!)

I love the whole notion behind crowd-sourcing education in this way. It provides a great outlet for finding community over shared interest while celebrating skills and shared knowledge. I am definitely signing up for a few classes this fall (already on the wait-list for "Low-tech Screenprinting" :) and am excited to get involved, meet new people, and learn! Do you know of something like this in your city?

8 comments:

A Crimson Kiss said...

Wow-what gorgeous photos! I'm so glad you took me back home for a spell, and totally smitten with idea of Brooklyn Brainery!

Anonymous said...

Oh I so understand....every borough is different and how fun!!!
Cant wait to read about all your adventures there. :-))))

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

first of all I am so jealous! lots amazing but NYC is one of my most fav cities in the world.

lauren natalia said...

i'm so happy you're settling in to your new home! this brooklyn brainery idea sounds amazing - i'm jealous they don't have something similar in portland!

jaclyn @ thelateafternoon said...

brooklyn is like a magical place to me - it seems so full of creativity and quirkiness! excited to see all the places you find in your new neighborhood!

Anonymous said...

This is the most WONDERFUL idea ... all the appeal of being a student without all the commitment...next time I am in NYC I want to go here!

Brandi said...

Brooklyn is one of my favorite places in the world, and I was sincerely hoping to land a job that allowed me to move there, but it seems that life has different plans for me. I'm doubly bummed now that I know about the Brooklyn Brainery. It sounds like such a cool place!

SarahGriffen said...

I'm so excited to sign up for classes! Getting more and more giddy as the move gets closer!