inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Friday, September 30, 2011

NYC Wine & Food Festival



My dear friend & college roommate, Mary Kate, and I had the pleasure of attending the NYC Wine & Food Festival "Meatball Madness" event hosted by the Food Network's lovely Giada de Laurentiis in SoHo last night. Renowned chefs from over 20 restaurants in New York City competed for the title of "Best Meatball" to be determined by three Food Network judges. However, Mary Kate and I were more concerned with judging the meatballs ourselves, and we took the task seriously until we of course got distracted by the Godiva stand and the cupcakes. We did decide that our favorite meatball was a toss between the the chef's grandmother's classic recipe at Abbocatto and a delicious meatball parm  on a crispy baguette from Hearth. I would definitely recommend checking out those places if you ever find yourself in New York City with a craving for meatballs!

Mary Kate and I had a blast as we certainly found ourselves in our element (I think my version of Heaven looks very similar to a Food & Wine Festival). As an added plus, I managed to walk away with a purse full of wine-corks. The guy pouring the wine was going to throw them all out so I convinced him to let me have them. I now have perfect supplies for an upcoming project ;)

There are many festival events going on throughout the weekend (including a few that are free) that are sure to be just as delicious. Even better, the entire festival is a charity event benefitting the Food Bank for New York City and Share Our Strength, a nonprofit that aims to end childhood hunger in America. Last year they raised over a million dollars for these wonderful organizations. It was great to see so many people come out to enjoy food while also helping to provide food for others. Definitely check it out if you can!

3 comments:

A Crimson Kiss said...

What a divine way to spend an evening-I'm drooling just thinking about it!

jaclyn @ thelateafternoon said...

the nyc wine & food festival sounds like so much fun! i would love to be a judge in the the meatball madness competition!!!

Kayla Poole said...

how'd you score such a sweet ticket? so fun.