inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Arches


There was an article this week in the New York Times in which Nicholas Kristof argues that America as a nation is extremely rich--in nature (a must read). In the article he speaks about the amazing access we have to the most beautiful National Parks and the experiences that they offer, and I could not agree more. Having experienced Yellowstone on the drive out to Oregon, Crater Lake and more during the past year, I have been consistently blown away by the beauty that can be found within our borders. There is such a value to be found in the National Parks system, so much simplicity and joy to be found residing in nature, and sincerely a mind-blowing awe & appreciation for the mysteries of the earth. Often times when I have thought about where I would like to travel in the past, foreign destinations were at the top of my list. However, I am so thankful that this experience has allowed me the opportunity to discover these amazing destinations within the United States. 

That brings us to Utah's Arches National Park, 20 miles outside of Moab. I have seen mountains, waterfalls, rivers, and desert, yet I have never been so amazed by rock formations in my life. My brother and I camped out surrounded by brilliant red arches. We woke up at 6am to see the sunrise over one of the most beautiful landscapes I have ever seen, and then took off to hike around, continuing to be amazed at every arch we saw. It was like being a child exploring around a movie set, with surroundings so amazing, large, and foreign that your jaw drops even as you walk around.


Our remnants of wilderness will yield bigger values to the nation's character and health than they will to its pocketbook, and to destroy them will be to admit that the latter are the only values that interest us. 
-Aldo Leopold, Outdoor Life, November 1925.

7 comments:

jaclyn @ thelateafternoon said...

what an AMAZING looking trip! i took a "national parks" course in college (random general ed class!) and the Arches was the top park that i want to visit! you've captured the place in such an inspiring way!

Jane {In The Pink & Green} said...

What a great post! I feel fortunate that we live close to Rocky Mountain National Park here in Colorado, and it's true, our country's national parks are truly amazing. Over Labor Day, my hubby and I ventured up to Yellowstone/Grand Teton National Park and the landscapes up there are gorgeous as well. We are hoping to get to Arches next, and I want to go even more now after seeing these photos!

Eva @ Four Leaf Clover said...

I knew I should have lived in another state than Indiana! These images are amazing.. wish I could have experienced a bit of this when living in the US!

lauren natalia said...

these pictures are unreal! now i'm reconsidering flying whenever i move back home from portland...

kimbirdy said...

oh gorgeous!! your trip is giving me some serious wilderness wanderlust. :) we took a backpacking trip all over a bunch of southwest national parks a few summers ago, but we weren't able to include arches. i'd love my next road trip to be out to colorado, and then maybe we could include arches. someday...

Sarah Severns said...

love reading your blog.
wonderful photographs.
you are turning into quite the talented photog.

Kimia Kline said...

so gorgeous. could not agree more with the article!! visited yosemite for the first time last march and haven't been the same since--it was a life changer.