inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Friday, July 22, 2011

on being thankful & weekend cheers


Among the many things I have been thankful for this week is the fact that two of my most favorite foods are in season (and thus less expensive, plentiful, local, ripe, and perfectly tasty): 


I cannot get enough. I think avocados and blueberries have comprised at least 50% of my daily consumption these days. Thank you, summer.

I also have been sincerely thankful for your comments. This new experience in the 'blogging world' has been a wonderful and surprising treat in meeting so many thought-provoking and inspiring people, and I have been so grateful for your comments and the feedback that I have received as a result. I have loved exploring this community, and have loved getting to know so many new people through it. [I am looking forward to having coffee with one lovely blogger on Monday]. I also was so excited to learn  through this blog's existence that one of my friends from high school, who I had not seen since, is also living in Portland. It was so great to get together and discover that we were both unknowingly living in the same place across the country!


This weekend Mike and I are running a 5K race for Run for Congo Women that I am really excited for. It is a wonderful awareness & charity run to benefit female survivors in the Congo as they rebuild their lives. The founder, Lisa Shannon, author of the book A Thousand Sisters, was inspired after she discovered the plight of women in the Congo by watching an episode of Oprah, on which  the CEO of Women for Women International was a guest. Lisa decided to sponsor two women who had survived the horrific conditions of war by running to raise money. She raised $28,000 on her first run and started the Run for Congo Women to expand it. They have since raised over $600,000 and have sponsored 1,444 women.

I had heard of Lisa's beautiful story before (she is local to Portland and I am pretty sure I saw her featured on Oprah herself) yet did not know the race was this weekend until a friend gave me the heads up. I am really excited to join the cause (if you are in Portland, it is this Saturday at 9am at Willamette Park!) You can read more about her organization  and see if there is an upcoming run happening in your city  here.  
We are also going to catch Fleet Foxes' outdoor show at  McMeniman's Edgefield Hotel venue on Sunday, which I have been eagerly anticipating. Have you heard their most recent album? I have been loving it, and am so excited to see them live for the first time (I have to play catch up to my brother, who has been quite the concert feen these days, I think he has seen them at least three times).  

Have a wonderful weekend!

9 comments:

Meg said...

oh my goodness, avocados and blueberries are two of my favorite foods!! these ones look delicious.

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

I love the edgefield- especially their par 3 is so super fun!

Have a super weekend :) sounds absolutely perfect!

Rhiannon Bosse said...

What an amazing post :) So so true! Enjoy your weekend, beauty xo

Brandi said...

Avocados, blueberries, and a 5K? Yup, sounds like a pretty fantastic weekend! Hope you enjoy every moment of it, my dear -- and maybe the next time I'm in your neck of the woods we could plan to meet up.

A Crimson Kiss said...

Oh, summer avocado-there's nothing better! Have a wonderful weekend, darling!

Mandy said...

That avocado is gorgeous! Nothing beats them.

Kayla Poole said...

YUM! I'm sure you kicked serious booty in the 5K. When you return East, we need to go running together.

Eva @ Four Leaf Clover said...

Wow, that sounds like an amazing weekend! I hope the run was fun and I'm sure the concert was (lucky)! : ) I need to get some avocados & blueberries soon, hm...

www.StarHughes.com said...

I am with you about this amazing blogging world! I am soooo happy to have "met" you! And I can't even tell you how excited I am that avocados and blueberries are in season either :)