inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Monday, July 25, 2011

manifesto.


I have been loving the idea of writing down a personal manifesto lately. Every now and then I feel inclined to create lists and write down a few specific goals that I have for the near future.  Something about writing them down allows for more accountability for myself on where I am/want to be in respect to those goals. A personal manifesto is that idea on a broad scale, serving as a vocalization of values and intentions for the whole of one's life (check out one of my favorites, here).

I just stumbled across architect Frank Lloyd Wright's 'Fellowship Assets' that he outlined for his apprentices in his Autobiography (via The Happiness Project). It is a gem of wisdom that serves as a great guide for a personal manifesto:

1. An honest ego in a healthy body.
2. An eye to see nature
3. A heart to feel nature
4. Courage to follow nature
5. The sense of proportion (humor)
6. Appreciation of work as idea and idea as work
7. Fertility of imagination
8. Capacity for faith and rebellion
9. Disregard for commonplace (inorganic) elegance
10. Instinctive cooperation

I love his focus on nature, imagination, and a sense of humor (and that humor is written as the word proportion- perhaps a statement on the balance of not taking things too seriously?). His list is simple yet packed full of wisdom and perspective in going about the everyday of life. What do you think?

Also, if you are interested in another Manifesto check out designer Bruce Mau's wonderful  Incomplete Manifesto for Growth. I am going to attempt to write down one of my own, happy Monday!

photo via oh pioneer

5 comments:

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

AWWW I love this- you go girl. the first step is saying the goals out loud :)

A Crimson Kiss said...

This is just so wonderful! I love the idea of a manifesto, especially one so beautifully, cleverly written!

Kayla Poole said...

"fertility of imagination"

wow! love this whole thing, so inspiring in its simplicity.

Brandi said...

Amazing reminder -- and I loved The Happiness Project. I think I need to reread it.
My manifesto is always evolving as I think of new things to put on it. I kinda like that it flows with me that way.

www.StarHughes.com said...

Amazing post. We all should write our own manifestos! I loved reading this. It's definitely a great reminder!