inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

shake the dust .


I love spoken word poetry. It has the ability to pack so much power and presence into rhythmic beats,  often consisting of thought-provoking issues or moving personal experiences. When I lived in New York City, I loved to head down to the Lower East Side on a Friday night to catch the poetry slams at the Nuyorican Poet's Cafe. It was common to be moved to tears by the power of the  captivating poems the talented men & women would perform. This is one of my favorites, by the ever articulate Anis Mojgani:


[thanks to mandy of prettier world for finding this high-quality version!]

image via tumblr

3 comments:

A Crimson Kiss said...

Mary, I'm absolutely smitten with your blog! A girl who loves the Nuyorican is definitely someone I could have a drink with, and your writing and images are incredible! Please excuse me while I go read the rest of your posts!

Mandy said...

I can't believe I've never heard of Nuyorican. Will definitely have to make it there one of these Fridays. This performance is gorgeous, by the way - hope you don't mind if I share it on my blog (with a link back, of course).

ali v. said...

One of my most challenging {but best} college courses including a three week portion on poetry slams. I have such respect for it! so happy to have stumbled on your blog! xoxo {av}

p.s. less than four days to get your entries in for my huge Whiting & Davis giveaway! a handbag of your choice could be yours...don't miss out :)