inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

sunny days & weekend hikes


I have been very thankful that, so far, whenever visitors have come to see us in Oregon, they have lucked out with very good weather. The place rains a lot, so it is quite amazing when visitors catch a sunny day of 70 degrees. Plus, Oregon is truly so so beautiful, that it is wonderful to be able to show them the full extent of it under the sun.

Taking full advantage of the day, we took my brother to climb Mt. Hamilton, a great hike only about 45 minutes outside of Portland. It is right over the northern border of Oregon, easily accessible by crossing the 'Bridge of the Gods' (cue dramatic music) over the Gorge into Washington. 

It was the perfect day for a hike full of intense waterfalls, wildflowers, views of Mt. Hood, and packed sandwiches.  Plus, having not gone on a solid day hike since we went to Multnomah Falls last month, it was great to get out to do it. 

My brother had a great visit- I think we did a good job of showing him a beautiful hike, plenty of microbrews, a trip to Voodoo donuts, delicious food carts, and live music. Mike had found an outdoor bazaar, which had a few bands playing outside and a full-on cast of interesting characters walking about. We perused vintage records that were being sold for a dollar and found some great Miles Davis & Ray Charles ones.

All in all a solid weekend to get out and enjoy all that Oregon has to offer- and great seeing my brother, too. Hope you had a great weekend and that your week is going well!

3 comments:

Eva @ Four Leaf Clover said...

These photos are so pretty! Any time I see beautiful nature shots like this, I feel so bad that I didn't get to see more of America when I lived there. Oh well, just means I need to go back & visit a ton one day!

Also, very cool about the weather & just an overall great weekend with your brother. :)

Kayla Poole said...

gah! that waterfall is epic. Tiho and I are planning a hike soon. I'm almost desperate for one...lately, all I'm craving is time spent in nature.

Glad you had a great weekend with your brother!

Pam said...

Don't you just love our beautiful state!!