inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Smoothie Kick

Spinach, avocado, banana, almond milk & chia seeds

Lately I have developed a new obsession. I realized I was spending too much money on smoothies that seemed simple enough for me to make, so I picked up a blender and I've been making smoothies nearly every morning for the past 3 weeks. It was such a challenge to find a healthy go-to breakfast that would even come close to giving me a chance to make it until lunch, but these smoothies are packed full of fiber and protein I am amazed at how filling they are. 

I started to look into the benefits of superfoods, stocked up on ingredients from there, and have been experimenting with variations every morning. In all of them I use a base of either a banana or avocado for a creamy texture, handful of spinach or kale for a green boost, and unsweetened almond milk as the liquid. I may add frozen blueberries if I have them, a scoop of almond butter, or handful of raw cashews. From there I add any mix of the following:

Maca Powder - Maca is an amazing source of natural energy and is high in B vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. It has adaptogenic properties which keep your body cope with stress and maintain hormonal balance.

Chia Seeds - I started making Chia Seed pudding a while back, but I am still not crazy about the texture of it. Adding it to smoothies is a great way to get the benefit of this powerful seed, which is another source of natural energy. These small seeds pack 40 percent of the daily recommended amount of fiber in one serving and actually have more Omega-3 fatty acids per ounce than salmon!

Cacao Nibs - Made from pure cacao beans, cacao nibs are the source of all those antioxidant benefits I so easily reference to justify eating more dark chocolate. They are actually one of the most antioxidant-rich foods in the world and also significantly high in fiber. They are a great source of magnesium--which helps relax your nervous system and get better sleep (read: helps you relax!).

Hemp Protein - This is an easy to digest and earth-friendly protein that also contains Omega fatty acids to help reduce inflammation in the body.

Coconut Oil - Don't be deceived by the fat content, the fatty acids in coconut oil can actually help you lose or maintain weight and provide great benefits for overall heart and brain health. It is also great for use on your skin as a moisturizer! I use it daily after showering and at night to remove eye makeup.

Spirulina -  This blue-green algae is a nutritional powerhouse and high in protein and antioxidants. It is very high in chlorophyll which helps the body get rid of toxins and boosts immunity. I admit I am still talking myself into this one (to no surprise, algae tastes as it sounds)--so I only add a small amount.



My favorite combination so far has been this one shown above: handful of baby spinach, 1 whole frozen banana, 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, 1 tablespoon of almond butter, 2 tablespoons of cacao nibs, 1 teaspoon of maca powder, 1tablespoon of hemp protein, 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and 1 teaspoon coconut oil.

It is much easier than I thought it would be to make smoothies every morning and it is such a great way to start the day. I've actually found myself going mornings without coffee as these are so packed-full of energy. Blasphemous, I know.

No comments: