inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Friday, September 2, 2011

Community Art in San Francisco

My brother, Mike, & Erin.

One of the unfortunate truths about meeting great friends through travel is that they often inevitably live miles and miles away from where you do, thus making frequent visits quite difficult. I have often wished it possible to gather all of the people I love to live on the same street so we could have dinner gatherings and be able to meet for coffee all the time. However, until that becomes a reality, it is a wonderful thing to be driving across the country for the chance to try to see as many of those cherished people as possible.

The first stop on our journey East was San Francisco, California to visit with my friend Erin, whom I had met studying abroad in Ireland in 2009. Erin just started a job with Google and it was so wonderful to be able to catch up on that front, see her new place, and explore the city together. One of the highlights of the day was stumbling across a simple community art installation along the walk to the park for lunch. Someone had posted up a sign asking "What do you love?" and had attached a variety of airport baggage tags to the fence. Many of those who had strolled by the fence noticed the question and took the opportunity to write down their answer on the tag. What resulted is a collection of answers--some funny, some meaningful--that stands as a beautiful & random statement of connection and community. Honestly, initiatives like this completely make my day.



It was so wonderful to read through all of the tags and be able to contribute my own, as well (the last photo is my contribution!). I think I may have to find a fence in New York City and attempt a similar idea--it is such a simple thing that can so profoundly brighten someone's day.

While only being able to visit for a short time, I truly loved the city of San Fransico and would love to spend more time there on a future visit. It was so great to see Erin and to share memories of past times while being excited about all the new things (and new places) that we have been getting ourselves into since spending a semester together in Dublin. The ability to reconnect through visits like this is definitely a positive element for the whole friends in far places business. However, I am still wishing for the day we all live on the same street... :)

6 comments:

A Crimson Kiss said...

What an incredible installation-and so inspiring. Glad you enjoyed SF, and come back soon, ya' hear?

jaclyn @ thelateafternoon said...

what an amazing project! where in the city was this project located? i would love to check it out!

Anonymous said...

Mary! Your wonderful! I dream of living on the street with you and everyone else all the time. I'm making crepes in the morning, gardening with tea in the afternoon and s'mores by the fire pit at night. You coming over? :)

Kayla Poole said...

I kinda want to start the same installation in NYC. I love your contribution.

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

the first time I saw one of these- in person- was in Turkey at the House of the Virgin Mary- and people put more like wishes or little prayers in the wall. :)

kimbirdy said...

yay san francisco!! that's my true home and i miss it every day that i'm away. was this community art installation in hayes valley? i used to live close to there and loved all the revolving art in that cute park. sigh... :)