inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Monday, August 15, 2011

Stuff.

I have been losing a lot of stuff lately. I am not sure why--I am usually pretty good about not losing things, yet there it is and I have been kicking myself every time. Major bummer and only myself to blame. 

All frustrations aside, my recent adventure in losing things has allowed me to continue to reevaluate my relationship with 'having stuff' and offers another reminder towards the aim of simplicity. A while back I wrote this post on the things we value and have since been trying to consciously value simplicity over consumerism. Losing things works as another reminder for me to keep things simple and not buy things I don't need, because then I do not have more stuff that I could potentially lose. 

I have started the process of packing up my things for the upcoming cross-country trip back East. There is nothing like packing up all of your stuff to fit in your tiny car to allow you to really think about all the stuff you have (and if you really need it). In a culture that constantly demands us to buy more stuff or screams that we are inadequate if we do not have this or that new product, I am trying to pick out these ways of keeping myself in check and keeping it simple. I have found Zen Habit's Simple Living Manifesto to be a thorough and inspirational list of great tips for doing just that (and definitely worth checking out). Hopefully, I can master the art of simple living and still manage not to lose any more stuff. Those are my goals. ;) Hope you had a great weekend!


The more you read about minimalism, the more the whole concept starts to sound pretty spiritual. It’s about having less and enjoying the things you have more—it’s about cutting through the excess to discover what is essential.

-I Love Your Style, Amanda Brooks

3 comments:

Brandi said...

I actually have to admit that my cross-country trek helped me get rid of a few unnecessary items I'd been storing. I should sort even more, especially through the stuff I left at my parents' home, but I'm leaving that for the next move.

A Crimson Kiss said...

GUH-losing stuff. Losing my wallet was definitely big stress on top of a busy week, but it's nice to know that you can always replace ANYTHING, except maybe that Christmas gift wallet. When I moved to SF, I had two carry on bags and two pieces of checked luggage. While we've picked up some furniture since, I love knowing that I'm keeping it that simple.

Until my parents start shipping my book collection.

Kayla Poole said...

Zen Habits was the first blog I started following a few years ago. I try to use it as a loose guideline for all areas of my life: Leo is the master of simple living!