inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Thursday, July 14, 2011

on couch surfing.



This past weekend was my first time couch surfing. Have you ever done it before? I have a few good friends who have hosted couch surfers or been couch surfing themselves, and they have always spoke highly of the experience. I love its vision statement, which states: A world where everyone can explore and create meaningful connections with the people and places they encounter. It really is an outlet for intentional community among like-minded people that is based on sharing stories, experiences, and curiosity. All centering around the mission statement Create Inspiring Experiences. Yes, please. 

Our first experience was amazing (especially considering that our Americorps budget would have been a little wounded having to pay for a motel!). How it works is you have a profile on their website and people you know or have stayed with can vouch for you and write a reference. Then you can note if you have a couch available to host somebody, or if you are seeking a couch yourself. I searched for available hosts in Bend, Oregon and sent an email out to a few people not thinking anything would work out considering it was so last minute. The amazing thing was that everyone wrote back to me that day. With the short notice, a lot of people did respond that they were out of town or otherwise unavailable but sent their regards for enjoying my time in Bend. Only a few hours after I sent it, however, one awesome girl called us to say she was down to host us for the weekend.  Score!

Our host was wonderful- not only graciously providing a great place to stay and a meal--but also sharing her experience living in Bend. Seeing a new place through the eyes of someone who lives there is such a different experience than going in as a naive tourist. She introduced us to a group of her friends (we enjoyed being known as 'the couch surfers') and they took us to some great spots that we would never have found on our own. 

We were able to stumble upon a great community of like-minded adventurers, have good conversations, learn great tips, and share travel stories. It was awesome, and I would definitely recommend trying it out the next time you are heading somewhere new. It is such a brilliant idea (especially for travelers on a budget) and an amazing community to connect with. I'm sold. Check out more and create your own profile on the Couch Surfing Website.


9 comments:

www.StarHughes.com said...

Wow, that is so cool! I've never heard of that! It's a pretty genius idea though - I'm sure it's going to grow hugely the next few years! Thanks for sharing!

A Crimson Kiss said...

I think this is such an amazing, fearless way to travel! I'll admit that I'm probably not the couch surfing type, but I wish I was!

Style, She Wrote said...

I've never heard of couch surfing before. It sounds like a neat idea but the cynical New Yorker in me wary -- people can be untrustworthy. xo style, she wrote

Sam said...

love it. you've 'inspired' me. our couch is going on the site :)

big love,
Sam

kimbirdy said...

i love this sort of thing. i haven't done it personally, but in san francisco i met so many people who were couch surfers. the mister and i have often day dreamed about owning a big house one day which we can set up to be a community space for friends and travelers. we would have all sorts of art shows and house concerts, as well as providing a place to crash for friends, friends of friends, and other friendly folks. we're pretty excited about this, but for now, we basically live in a studio. sigh... :) i'm so happy you had such a great experience!

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

I have a few friends- that's the only way they travel and they love it! :)

jaclyn @ thelateafternoon said...

so cool that you tried out couch surfing! thanks for sharing your experience!!

Eva @ Four Leaf Clover said...

Awesome, you've convinced me!! I've always wondered about it so I'm glad you wrote a whole (great!) post about it. I need to find a European alternative. : )

Prettypics123 said...

Your post gives me hope! I was just searching for road trip adventure blogs and came upon yours. I'm driving cross country in August and will be couchsurfing for the first time. I hope you'll check out my blog about the adventure at http://www.levonnegaddy.com/2011/07/were-going-home.html