inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Monday, June 27, 2011

meatless monday

I really do love Meatless Mondays for allowing me to think out of the box and get into different veggies & grains that I may not have previously experimented with. Lately I have been trying to cook with different types of mushrooms and have since become a huge fan of Portobellos and all that you can do with them. Plus, they are a great substitute for meat as they are so flavorful and filling. Tonight I made BBQ Portobello & Spinach Quesadillas. It may be my new favorite Meatless Monday quick dish. I made only a single serving, but you can double as needed:


ingredients:
2 Portobello Mushrooms (scoop out the underside brown gills & dice into small pieces)
1/4 of an onion, chopped
at least 1 fist-full of baby spinach, chopped
I chose a mix of sharp cheddar & mozzarella cheese, but you can use your favorite
BBQ sauce (a little over a tablespoon)
Whole wheat tortilla
Canola Oil, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cilantro

  1. Coat pan with a tiny amount of oil & saute the mushrooms over medium-high heat for 5 min or so.
  2. Add onions, season with S&P and cook for another 2 minutes.
  3. Add spinach and allow spinach to wilt.
  4. Place mixture in a bowl and combine with BBQ sauce & spices to taste
  5. Coat a large pan with a bit of oil over medium heat and place the tortilla down. Add cheese & BBQ mixture. Fold tortilla in half with the mixture and allow to cook until golden brown on both sides. Cut and enjoy!

Who needs meat when you have mushrooms?
See also Portobello Cheeseburgers or Grilled Stuffed Portobellos. Yum.

8 comments:

Kimia Kline said...

i loved meatless mondays too before i moved to india. now its meatless nearly everyday and im kind of craving a burger. big time.

The Everything List said...

i am going to have to try this. also stop by my blog - i have a decent amount of meatless recipes with buckwheat and quinoa.

http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

April of Smidge Of This said...

I do love a good portabella. We like to grill ours and treat it like a pizza by topping it with sundried tomatoes, pesto, capers, feta cheese, etc.

I haven't done a Meatless Monday meal for us yet just because it's something I'd go for but the husband would be a little more hesitant. Time to start implementing it, though!

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

I am a BIG fan of mushrooms..edible non drug ones ha! Just to clarify ;) This sounds great and I love the idea of meatless Monday! Following you :)

XO Lindsay

A Crimson Kiss said...

What a delicious sounding recipe-I'm always delighted to find new veggie recipes!

Eva @ Four Leaf Clover said...

So cool! Going vegetarian made me realize just how much I was missing out on food and I've loved experimenting with food ever since. I need to start making more mushrooms!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I think those just might have to be on the dinner menu very soon! Yum!

heather said...

Took some inspiration from this today (I've head it saved since June) and cooked some portobello caps up for the first time ever! Used the onion, plus cilantro stems and dried cranberry. Olive oil, fresh ground sea salt and pepper, on a portuguese roll. The fresh mushroom texture and smell weirded me out but man, was this yummy. Can't wait to pick up some more 'shrooms!