inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

on work .



I just came across Work is Not a Job- a wonderful design studio and overall revolutionary concept focusing around the idea of doing what you love. The mission statement includes: "We want to create a paradigm shift in how people approach "work" not as your 9-5 job but how you individually contribute to the world."
 
As I near the end of my service year with Americorps (which is somehow only three months away),  I have been thinking about the concept of work and what it means for my future job-entry a lot lately. I have no idea what is next for me come my return to the East Coast in September, but do know that it will be centered around interviews, job searches, and the like. I have broad ideas of what I would like to do (emphasis on broad), yet being a member of the undergraduate class of 2010, general talk on job prospects has yet to give the impression that I can be choosy. The unknown of my post-Americorps life lends to a mix of both excitement and slight fear thinking about it. 

While rent, bills, and the like are definite realities- I truly hope that I will be able to work in a job that is fundamentally centered around this idea. I want to feel like I am being challenged and am continuing to learn, that my skills are being used, that I can contribute to something I believe in, and that creativity will be an element of whatever I do. I  hope that somehow I will be able find a job where I can do this while making those other realities work (especially through a focus on living simply). 

Will let you know what that starts looking like in three months. Until then, I am fully appreciating right now-- the weather is starting to be beautiful and Mike and I have some great trips planned to enjoy the Pacific Northwest. Here's more from Work is Not a Job, and you can purchase their wonderfully inspiring & thought-provoking prints, shirts, and more here. (Also, check out Cathi's blog & join the movement.)

  
"Inspiration does exist, but it must find you working."  Pablo Picasso
thanks to cathi @ work is not a job for permissions (& for being awesome). 

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Love. :)
t

Eva @ Four Leaf Clover said...

I've had this bookmarked for weeks! I love Work Is Not A Job, too! And I wish you the best of luck in finding the best path/job for yourself in the next few months!