inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

on living in oregon.


Before I packed up my car and embarked on the journey across the country to get to Oregon, I had never been to the state before. While always hearing positive things about the Pacific Northwest, it seemed like it was a bit off the map, and not knowing too much about it, Oregon was an uncharted territory that was about to get the next year of my life.

It has been eight months since I have been out here, and eight months have truly flown by. There is so much exploring that Mike and I have been able to do, and so much more that is still on the list. However, in reflecting on living in Oregon, there are certain characteristics of the state that I have come to love. I thought I would share them with you, so here goes:

(via andersondesign)

Nature : Having spent the past four years in the city, it is completely amazing to be able to leave work and get to a decent hike in only 15 minutes. Twenty minutes away from where I live is Mary's Peak, at the top of which you can see the Cascade Mountain Range, Mount Hood, and on a clear day, even the Pacific Ocean. The hiking trails out here are unbelievable, and they are all relatively quick to get to from where we live. There are so many species of trees, an insane amount of beautiful waterfalls, mountain views, meadows, rivers, and perfect spots for a picnic break. Not only that, but even walking to work or driving on the highway is filled with beautiful views. It rains a good amount here, and so the land is ridiculously green and fertile. Within an hour we can be at the coast, taking in the crashing waves of the Pacific Ocean, or going an hour the other way we can be at the Columbia River Gorge on the Oregon/Washington Border. My city lungs have appreciated the clean air.

Food : I have spoken about the foodie culture that is prevalent out here, and it is definitely one of the things I most value. Most restaurants have written on their menus that they use organic food, pasture-raised grass-fed meats, and source from local farms. The farmers markets are amazing, and it is easy to eat organic and to feel good about where your food is coming from. Not to mention, the food is delicious.


Beer : This could be its own entry. There are so many amazing microbreweries in Oregon (twenty-eight within the city of Portland alone), and we have definitely been spoiled living in 'Beervana'. Whereas most happy hours back home would only offer $2 for Bud or Coors Light, here you could have your pick of an award-winning IPA, an organic amber ale, a chocolate espresso stout, or a seasonal pale ale locally brewed. The beer culture is a significant part of the state, and there seems to be a PubCrawl or BrewFest every other month. There is also a good amount of great wineries out here (Pinot Noir is an Oregon staple).

Music : Between the many music festivals, venues, and bands that come out of Portland, music has a significant place in the culture here. From the concerts to the coffee shops to even a guitarist on the street, the music is quality.

Coffee Culture : Saying that I love coffee may be an understatement. Not only do I love coffee, (and the stronger the better) but I love the culture that surrounds coffee. There are so many wonderful, quirky, and unique coffeeshops here that I would be content reading in all day. For being so close to the birthplace of Starbucks, Portland is a city defined more by its independent coffee shops than by the chain. Stumptown Coffee Roasters, known as one of the most high quality direct-trade roasters, started here.

portland by david mark erickson

People : What can I say about the people of Oregon? Nice? Yes. Active? For sure. Weird? Definitely. There is a reason why the catchphrase of the city is 'Keep Portland Weird'. I used to think that by living in New York City, nothing would surprise me. However, Portland manages to have even more interesting characters doing interesting things than even New York could have prepared me for. The first day I was here I stumbled into a random hot dog eating contest on the side of the street where the contestants were a fully-tattooed woman in a bikini, a man in a bright orange bodysuit, a man dressed up like a zombie, and another woman in a business suit. Welcome to Portland. But truly, I've found the people of Oregon to be some of the most life-loving, active, consciously-aware, friendly, laid back, unique, and interesting people I have ever met.

Neighborhoods : Despite being a big city, Portland has a very neighborhood-like feel to it that I love. The city is built around the Willamette River that divides the city into four main areas that each have their unique characteristics. The houses are smaller in size and closer together than your typical suburb, with parks and coffeeshops in close vicinity. Most of the houses have beautiful gardens, wraparound porches, a variety of colors, and so much character that it makes it difficult to pick a favorite.

Sustainability : Portland was ranked the #1 most sustainable city in America by SustainLane, has been frequently rated one of the most bike-able and environmentally friendly cities, and has received numerous recognitions of its progress in green building, air quality, and overall sustainable innovation. Restaurants provide compostable take-out carriers, Styrofoam is no where to be seen, many houses have solar panels on their roofs, bikers are everywhere, and overall the people here have a very sustainability-conscious mentality. (There are great stores that center around re-purposing materials.) It is a place that understands the appreciation for the physical world and a need to respect that world and not take advantage of it.

Some scenes of Oregon thus far :

photos by maryshouvlin and mike noel

It has been an adventurous and amazing eight months thus far, and I am truly enjoying the time that I have out here to explore and indulge in it. (There is something wonderful, too, about simply living in a new place.) If only the rain were a bit less prevalent and this beautiful place wasn't quite so far away from home (and, of course, if my cravings for New York pizza would subside), it might just be perfect.

11 comments:

Kayla Poole said...

This is beautiful. Are you planning on staying beyond the year of your Americorps commitment?

quinncr said...

AHHHHHHHHHH cannot wait. nope. not one bit!

Mary Shouvlin said...

@kaylapoole : plan right now is to head back to new york come the end of august (hopefully with a solid trip down the west coast & across the southwest :) so expect a long-overdue coffee date in september! after that i'm pretty much running on the fly so we shall see!

@quinncr : yay, can't wait to see you, love!

Brandi said...

So I'm taking a road trip this summer and Oregon is one of my stops. I was looking forward to it before, but after reading this post, I'm really excited. I may need two or three days at least to just begin taking it all in. If you have any great restaurant/foodie suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

al said...

Thanks for helping justify why I've never lived anywhere else. On occasion I feel a bit flawed by having visited elsewhere but never living anywhere but Oregon. Funny how it takes an outsider to help remind me of all that is here. oh.. and don't worry, the rain mostly stops around june-ish.

Kaylyn said...

If you're coming across the Southwest in August you should most definitely make a visit to Tucson! I'm so thrilled to read this post and see that you're making the absolute best out of your time out there. Can't wait to pick your brain for my cross-country trip in late July :)

Hoping to cross paths with you soon!!

Katherine said...

Beautiful pics Mary (And Miguelito!) Glad you are soaking it all up out there, but the East Coast will certainly be welcoming you back with open arms!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your photos of Oregon are wonderful. I'm so glad you like our gorgeous state. You've created a blog that is a lovely spot to visit. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Pam said...

Aren't we lucky to live in such an amazing city/state?!?!

Colleen / Inspired to Share said...

It's so cool to hear the things you're enjoying and learning. It's only further convincing me that I'd like to live in - or at least visit Portland. So awesome that you're doing Americorps! xo

Unknown said...

I love the perspective that you give on living in Oregon! It's so insightful, and is a great guide for someone like me who hopes to visit and maybe live in the Northwest someday soon. Please also keep posting pictures, it looks absolutely gorgeous out there :)