inspired adjective
- of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse

Thursday, March 31, 2011

books

"so, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, 
and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall." -roald dahl

( via hgtv )
spring goal: read more books
(preferably outside in the grass, if possible)

currently the list includes: 
Peter Godwin's 'The Fear' . I am really excited about this book. When Mary Kate and I went to Godwin's NYC fundraiser two years ago, he spoke about writing this book. At the time, he was writing about a post-Robert Mugabe Zimbabwe. Turns out we have yet to see a post-Mugabe Zimbabwe (one can still hope), so I am truly interested to read what Godwin's take is on the current Zimbabwe situation. Plus, having read his previous book When A Crocodile Eats the Sun, I would be remiss to note that he really is a wonderful writer (and wonderful in person, too!) 

Hemingway's A Moveable Feast . I have been meaning to read this book for a good while now. 

New York : The Novel by Edward Rutherford . I love reading about the history of New York City (especially when history is placed in the form of a readable novel). The stories and characters of its beginning are fascinating to me. 

How to Be An Explorer of the World, Keri Smith . I was drawn to this title, and I've heard it is very creative & inspiring. Smith proposes the mission: “To document and observe the world around you. As if you’ve never seen it before. Take notes. Collect things you find on your travels. Document findings. Notice patterns. Copy. Trace. Focus on one thing at a time. Record what you are drawn to.”

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand .  My dad spoke very favorably of this powerful true World War II story, written by the author of Seabiscuit. Its reviews say that it is "one of the most stunning books of the year."

Food Matters by Mark Bittman . Big fan of Mark Bittman (see his 'Food Manifesto') and always on the hunt for new recipe ideas!

Dancer by Colum McCann .  I loved Let the Great World Spin, and McCann's storytelling ability overall is truly powerful.

Phew, that's it, for now. If you have any recommendations, please send them my way!

1 comment:

nancy noel said...

Mary, Mary - you are a true person after my own heart - I LOVE BOOKS - just looking at your list made me want to go to the bookstore or library! I have heard wonderful things about Unbroken and just read her short story you might be interested in:

http://www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/Hillenbrand.html

Also, A Moveable Feast has been on my list list as well! Enjoy.